Passed my PMP! (LL)
I was able to pass the PMP this last Monday, here are some thoughts to help prepare for the Exam, believe me the Exam is tough and you need to the concept right to pass the Exam. Hope this helps you prepare well and my best wishes for the exam.
1. A. Read the PMBOK Guide once to make you understand the basic flow B. I would strongly recommend studying Rita Mulcahy twice for understanding concepts better C. For revision, read pmp exam notes from pmpexamnotes dot com (www.pmpexamnotes.com). You will do well if you follow all the above steps - check out this video on how to pass PMP exam in 4 simple steps.
2. The key is to know the concept behind the project management, always look at the big picture when studying the chapters and how does fit into the real world.
3. Rita process flow really helps understand the concept and enables to answer difficult questions.
4. Be thorough with the role of the project manager in different situations, handling stakeholders, quality, procurement, scope, cost, team, schedule etc…most of the difficult questions are based on the PM’s unique role as to how he/she will handle the situation.
5. Study the Theories, PM Powers, Management styles, Conflict resolution, remote team handling
6. The PM authority in different types of organizations.
7. Be thorough on the Risk management process, like different types Risk handling risk Mitigation, Risk Transfer etc…
8. Be thorough on the Procurement processes, different contract types, when it is used and why it is used.
9. PMI Code of ethics is very important know, prepare very well on this as the questions are really touch on this, you feel that you answered right it’s not the case most of the time.
10. Understand as to things flow, you plan everything in the planning phase creating all the Scope, Cost, Schedule Baselines etc, you create the metrics to measure against, which is used during the Monitoring and Control process to measure the project performance.
11. Try to answer the questions by elimination method so that you will arrive at 2 answers which are pretty close the answer and you can choose the Best answer. Read questions very carefully as they are wordy and distracting.
12. Finally get the formulas and practice the Critical Path, Earned value problems and step 1 is very critical.
All the Best!