August 12th, 2009 - Passed PMP Exam - My comments
Hi All -
I took the PMP Exam yesterday and passed with "Proficient" in 2 Areas and "Moderately Proficient" in the other 3.
Just a few comments to help you:
1. MOST IMPORTANT - I can not offer a better write up than what nfunguy posted a few days back. His write up was IDENTICAL to what I experienced on the exam. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR and look at his write-up and focus on those areas. Also, I too got the same rewards question he mentioned...I chose to rework the system. THANK YOU nfunguy for the write-up !!!
2. The areas touched on most in my exam (as nfunguy states). Risk, Quality, and Procurement. Many questions on contracts.
3. My prep for the exam. I can't say I read the PMBOK front to back. I read the entire Andy Crowe Book "The PMP EXAM - How to Pass The First Time". This is what I read front to back...highlighting as I went along. Taking the chapter tests as I went along. Reread where possible, especially the chapters I was weak in. The day before the exam, I took the final exam in the back of his book. Tried to close any big gaps still remaining (you will always have some gaps in my opinion...I never felt 100% comfortable with the material) I found the questions to be very similar to how his are worded.
4. Earned Value calculations were straight-forward (as nfunguy states) as long as you know the basic formulas.
5. I had a diagram where I had to state what the critical path was...which is easy to figure out....just choose the path with the longest duration. However....the diagram had a path in there connecting two activities with a dotted line (not a solid line). I could not remember what this was for. Perhaps a dummy task? Anyway...look for an example for that....I assumed it was a dummy task/path and did not include its duration in my calculation for critical path. or maybe they were just trying to trick me and use a dotted line. LOL I need to go look that one up. :-)
6. Final comments.....read nfunguys write-up....study what he listed......and good luck !!! I did not find the exam to be overly "tricky" .