Project management interview questions
Project management Interview questions
A collection of good interview questions. Post your's here if you have faced some challenging interviews.
- How did you handle non-productive team members
- How can you meet your team’s aspirations
- When team member complains that he /she does not want to work on an important project, how will you convince
- Did you have any diversity related issues, how did you handle it.
- When two equally performing team members deserve promotion, how will you decide.?
- When the team is burned out or demotivated, how will you handle the situation ?
- How will you deal with team members who have constant conflict with each other
- Will you intervene in every conflict ? If not mention which ones you will keep away from
- When a team member comes up with better idea of doing something, but there is additional cost involved, how will you handle the situation.
- Explain if you have played a part in building a motivated team. What are the important aspects of performing team.
- How will you handle the churn in your project team.
- What will you do to increase effectiveness of your team members.
- Have you hired employees, how do you go about interviewing them.
- Any special projects that you have handled delivered which were complex.
- When outsourcing work to a vendor what are key risks that you will consider
- Is there a situation when you identified some important risk in your project and explain how did you mitigate it.
- Client is getting wild since the project is running behind schedule , how will you handle this situation.
- Client is complaining that the current technical design is not taking into account the non-functional aspects, How will you handle this situation.
- How will you ensure the quality of your deliverables?
- Did you prepare a communication plan or Knowledge management plan ? What goes in that?
- What are the symptoms of project failing or going south.
- Give an example of how did you plan for a large project
- When assigned a project, what are the top three things you check .
- When your project is having budget issues and you know that client does not have any more money, what will you do ?
- Your project is slipping behind schedule week after week, and there is no way you can control the slippage, what will you do in such situations.
- How important it is to manage stakeholders in a project.
- When your project is going to be delayed due to internal or external dependencies, how will you manage it ?. What will you communicate to your sponsor.
- Did you track contractual commitments during project execution ?.
- Your project has many risks and its almost certain that it will not meet the schedule, what will you do in such cases.
- How will you effectively close a project.
- If the customer wants to terminate the project midway, what are the things to take care of for effective closure.
- Why are you leaving your current job
- Do you think this new job meets your career goals ? Explain how they are aligned
- What excites you about this job
- Why do you think you will be able to perform better than others in this new job.
- What are you major accomplishments as PM
- Have you been in a stressful situation. ? How did you come out of that.
- Did you have to take any tough decisions at work ? Explain the same.
- What does loyalty mean to you ?
- What are the soft skills you think a PM should have.
- What is the best approach to be aggressive or assertive.