Lessons from passed exam
I passed my PMP exam this week with "Proficient" in all areas. I finished the exam with almost two hours to spare. Here is some feedback/ lessons learned from my preparation. Total preparation time: 8 weeks (plenty).
- Rita/RMC - over-hyped, self-important, waste of time. My number 1 regret is listening to the hype and buying this book.
- Headfirst PMP - a children's book, written in children's language, addressed to people that should be building lego sets, not running projects.
- PMBOK5 - a must! I unpacked a PDF version of the PMBOK5 guide chapter by chapter until I knew it back to front.
- PMPforsure - an excellent site, despite the clumsy English and occasional dubious answer. The questions are tough but realistic. The number 1 best site for exam questions (IMHO).
- PMStudy - as everyone says, a good site for practice exams.
- Brainbok - yes, Brainbok. I originally used this site for the flashcards, which I used as a diversion from real study. But the information on the cards somehow became imprinted in my brain. Above everything else, the images of those cards is what I recalled during the exam, and it was very helpful. Strange but true.
I did not take a bootcamp, join a study group, take private lessons, take the "Limitless" pill, do yoga or use any other overhyped method. I simply studied hard. When I failed a practice exam I went to the beach for a swim to destress, then came back and studied even harder.