4 Ps,1 MP - 1st Try - July 24 Mumbai.
4 P, 1 MP. First try.
Study started ~3 months before exam
- For first two and half months a couple of hours each day. Went through Rita's book (once) and PMBOK (once) and took down notes.
Last 10-15 days - preparation:
- One more pass through PMBOK
- One more pass through exam tips in Rita's book.
- For finding initial gaps:
all exercises from Rita's book;
one exam from PMForSure - 100Qs;
Olivers 175 questions.
- Olivers 75 questions test - good set to test your preparation.
- 1 paid full length test from PMStudy - scored 78%.
Day before test - preparation:
- read PMBOK chapter 3. Looked at all the diagrams in PMBOK.
- practiced creating brain dump sheet (to write down on scratch paper during first 15 minutes of computer tutorial) mainly formulas and page 43 to free up my mind. I did end up referring back to it during exam.
- Went through my notes.
Day of test
- Did not study on the day of the test. Had afternoon appointment.
- Mumbai test center
- You can take the eatables in the locker area and access them during break. I did not.
- Scratch paper has 4 pages - more than enough for brain dump as well as all the rough calculations.
- You can get ear plugs (on request). Candidate next to me was taking a test which needed typing. In that quite environment, you will feel the noise.
- AC is usually high so better take a jacket along.
- Calculator was on screen.
- Took 3 hours 50 minutes to complete first pass. Did not take any breaks.
Tips I found useful:
- Understand page 43 of PMBOK - 4th edition- you should be able to say at least a couple of lines in your words about each entry in there.
- Remember all Earned value formulas, practice Critical path calculations.
- *Understand what various formulas as well as the result values mean*
- I did *not* mug up the IOs and TTs.
- Understand similar sounding concepts like accuracy vs precision, grade vs quality.
- Understand difference in similar sounding processes QA vs QC; plan procurements vs conduct procurements.
- Understand differences in project charter, project scope statement etc.
- Understand various graphs/diagrams and when they are used.
- Understand with examples various risk strategies.
- Clearly understand types of contracts.
Good luck !